Wednesday, August 10

Roasted Chickpeas

I love chickpeas. I'm not sure why, they really aren't anything special. But they are very versatile. They are a great non-meat protein addition. They work well for hummus, as a salad topper, and they are even great in pasta. I keep seeing this recipe popping up all over the cooking shows and blogs that I follow. So just for fun, I decided to make this little chickpea snack.

Roasted Chickpeas

  • 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
  • olive oil spray
  • salt
  • 1 tsp chili pepper powder (to taste)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
Preheat oven to 375°. Drain chickpeas in a colander and let them dry completely. Pat dry with a paper towel if needed.
Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 30-35 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes. All ovens are different so make sure they don't burn. They will be golden brown and crunchy on the inside when done, not moist.
In a medium bowl, combine all the spices. Remove chickpeas from oven when done and spray with olive oil spray. Immediately toss with spices while hot. Eat at room temperature.


I messed with the spices a little, just for my taste. I'm sure the combination that was given by Gina is also delicious. I just did a strike through on the things I omitted. The combination I used was tasty, but I might kick it up with some cayenne.

They are a little crunchy on the outside (more so if I hadn't been paranoid they would burn) and tender on the inside. We ate most of them up before they completely cooled down.

I give this idea a thumbs up as an alternative to popcorn or other salty snacks. They are protein packed and nutrient rich.

Why not sub out your your impulse snack and give these little treats a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment