Monday, August 1

Cherry Sorbet

Cherries were on sale at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I just had to find a reason to use the ridiculously large bag that I bought. I have been wanting to use my ice cream maker for a sorbet. So it seemed like a match made in heaven when I saw a recipe for Cherry Sorbet pop up on Gina's Skinny Recipes. This super simple recipe helped me take the plunge into sorbet making.

The only thing that took forever was pitting all the cherries with a pairing knife. I know, I know. They have tools for that. But I don't. Plus it actually helped take my mind off a nagging headache that I had had all weekend. So I honestly didn't mind the repetitive action.

Cherry Sorbet

Ingredients 
  • 2 lbs cherries
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup sugar or agave
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Stem the cherries and remove the pits.  In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cherries with the water, sugar, and lemon juice, and cook until the cherries are very soft and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
Puree the cherries and their liquid and put the mixture through a fine sieve.
Once the cherry mixture is chilled, freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.


It was so flavorful and had an surprising texture. If you don't like cherries this is not the recipe for you. But it wouldn't be too hard to substitute in another fruit.

Be sure to keep the remaining cherry puree. You paid for it, use it! I did! I found a recipe for a quick cherry cobbler. I made that a few days later and it received as good of reviews as the sorbet.

So take the plunge into sorbet. Its an easy, healthy and sweet treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment