Saturday, August 4

Southwest Chicken Chili Mac

Back when I first started browsing pinterest I was mostly into finding ideas for dinners. Now I have a whole folder full of ideas for food stuffs and another full of ideas for sweets. I love moving a pin from one of those folders into my "tried" folder.
One of the reason I made a "tried" folder was so that I could remember that I loved this recipe for Southwest Chicken Chili Mac. I was so easy and tasty I knew that I had to put it on my list of things to make again and again.

Southwest Chicken Chili Mac
by Picky Palate

8 ounces wagon wheel pasta noodles (I have also used just macaroni noodles)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped white onion
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet peppers (or bell peppers)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes, mild
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup corn, fresh or canned
1/2 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dry Ranch seasoning from packet
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
cheese for topping

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and run under cool water to stop cooking. Heat oil in 9 inch deep cast iron skillet. Add onions and peppers, cook stirring until softened about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add chicken, tomatoes, broth, corn, beans, 1 cup wagon wheel pasta, chili powder, cumin, Ranch seasoning and cilantro. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to serve.


It might look like a lot of ingredients but they are all pretty common, low cost items.

Another tip for this post is a how to make the shredded chicken for this meal. Throw a few thawed or frozen chicken breasts in your crockpot cook on low 6-8 hours. You can add spices like cumin, garlic powder or chili powder too. Then shred with a fork. So easy.
Sometimes I'll plan to make this and another meal that requires shredded chicken in one week, that way I can cook up a few breasts at once and then have the protein ready to go.

This meal is differently an easy crowd pleaser. Try it for kids or even some picky adults.
This post is reminding me how much I like this recipe. I might just have to put this on the menu for next week! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment