Wednesday, January 16

Christmas Tree Skirt

I always have all these ideas for Christmas-y fun, decor and foods. This year would be the first year in our new home. I knew that I needed to do something special.

I remembered my old tattered, felt tree skirt that I had bought for a few dollars years before in my first apartment after college. It DID have a laser cut edge that was cut to look like poinsettias.

I say did because I don't think it made it through one Christmas before my cat had chewed and clawed the decorative edge to bits.

Rolling my eyes I knew that I should not do anything too fancy, expensive, or intricate because it most likely would not survive the wrath of my beast. So I decided to keep it simple, which was more my style any ways.

I sought out the help of pinterest. I knew that I would be able to find loads of ideas. And boy did I. Too many. I had narrowed it down and finally for final decision I deferred to my husband. I wanted it to be special for him too. He chose this tree skirt.

At first I was not sure how to proceed since it was only a picture with no tutorial. I got some advice from for mentioned patient friend and read other tutorials with similar results.

This project was going to take a lot of felt and a lot of hot glue.


I first cut off the destroyed edge of my old tree skirt. No need for the good part to go to waste.






Then I used half of the top of a Christmas ribbon spool to fashion a scalloped edge template. Clever I know... some of the most clever ideas come from being super thrifty.

Then I cut... a lot. I decided on layering 4 colors to give the skirt some extra width. I got a 1/4 of a yard of red, white, light green and dark green. I actually only used a 1/8 of a yard but I found a good home for the remaining fabric.





Once I got done cutting it was time for all that hot gluing. I did not do a lot of pinning things. I just started gluing and layering the rings. It made it a little uneven at the backside. But you do not normally see that side and it saved me a lot of time and aggravation.


Then POW done.

It was actually a pretty easy project. I was very happy with how it turned out. Festive but not over the top. Definitely gave good dimension to our first Christmas tree in our new house. And it was almost big enough of all of our presents. Almost...

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment