Friday, March 14

Apple Danish Ring

From time to time we have company visit us and I feel inspired to make a special breakfast/brunch type meal. My in-laws were in town a few weeks ago and I knew that I wanted to find a really special treat to add to my brunch menus. While browsing Pinterest the week before they came and saw a recipe for a delicious Apple Cream Cheese Danish. I couldn't wait to try out this recipe on my in-laws. I had a feeling this would be right up their alley.





INGREDIENTS

  • 2 (8-oz) packages crescent rolls
  • 1 (8-oz) package light cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can apple pie filling
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tsp. milk
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray. Open both packages of crescent rolls and separate into 16 triangles. Arrange 12 triangles in a circle on the pizza pan, with wide edges on the outside of the pan and the points of the crescent triangles in the middle. Press the outer seams together, leaving the points in the middle alone.
  2. Make cream cheese filling: In a bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup powdered sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the outer edges (about 2″ wide) of the dough, within about ½” of the edge. Spoon pie filling on top of the cream cheese layer.
  3. Now take the points of the crescent triangles in the middle of the pizza pan and place them up over the filling, pressing the point into the outer edge. Make your way around the pan doing this, making a circle shape.
  4. Cut the remaining 4 crescent triangles lengthwise into three strips. You will have 12 small triangle shaped pieces. Going around your circle, place the outer edges of the small triangles into the uncovered filling areas. There should be 12 “empty” spots to place your small triangles. Press the larger seams together on the outside of the ring and the points on the inside of the ring.
  5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for about 10-15 minutes.
  6. Make glaze: combine ½ cup powdered sugar and 2-3 tsp. milk and mix until smooth. Drizzle evenly over pastry. Slice into triangles and serve.


I added this to the a buffet of fruit and some link sausages which I know is a family breakfast tradition. Voila! I sliced the apple ring into yummy wedges and they were devoured.

I have information from my mother in law that my father in law liked it so much that he requested for her to make it at their home. She even tried it with cherry pie filling, which is his favorite fruit. It was also a hit.

I loved this recipe because it was easy and quick. Two things I think that are really important when making brunch. You don't want to wait forever for the host to be cooking and baking forever! By brunch everyone is trying to politely act like its okay whenever the food is ready. But in reality everyone is starving!

I also enjoyed making this because it required just a few common and easy to obtain ingredients. And as my mother in law did you can easily make it your own and mix up the fillings.

So why not try this out on your next family get together or add mimosas and get a few friends together on a Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment