Friday, April 15

Animal totes/purses

This idea came from a forum post I found while searching for sewing crafts related to owls.  Yes I know my obsession with owls continue.  What can I say they are cute. I found a post on craftster.org http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=366907. I thought it was clever to use an old men's wool jacket for such a cute craft.

Okay so I don't own any old men's suit coats. So instead I scrounged the fabric scrap bins at my local fabric store for a suitable (pardon the pun) fabric.  I found a decorator fabric that had a similar style to the menswear. With some felt, embroidery thread, cotton lining fabric and cute buttons I was off on an adventure to figure out my own pattern for this cute creation.

This is what I came up with...


I would love to give you step by step instruction on how I made this, but its mostly a blur now.  It was very time intensive and took a lot of motivation to complete.  Motivation I typically do not have.

After posting a picture of this purse on my facebook I immediately had requests from family and friends to make them versions of their favorite sea creatures.

So I undertook two more purse and tote projects.  I was nervous.  As I have said before just because I have these ideas for projects, it does not mean that I will have the motivation to complete them.  Somehow the thoughts of disappointing my sister and good friend was enough of a catalyst to create them their requests.

First was the Octopurse for my sister.


She is studying biology at UC Berkeley. She mostly studies crabs, but she has a soft spot (kind of punny) for octopi. She studied under a professor at UNC Chapel Hill that did biomechanic studies on octopus tentacles. Well and the fact that octopi are just really cool creatures and extremely intelligent.

Sorry random tangent... I made this purse similar to the owl purse. It has two interior pockets and velcro to secure the top.  I used embroidery thread to shape out the tentacles.  And yes there are eight. Button eyes and a sweet thread smile finish him off.

It was another time intensive project.  The legs took forever. But it was definitely worth it.  Anything for my big sis.

The last one I have made is for my Asheville buddy.
She also have a random soft spot for jellyfishes. I know she doesn't carry any purse but the one that she currently owns. So I thought of making a tote instead of a purse.  Part of this decision was selfish, because I thought a tote would be easier to produce.



So the jellytote was born.  I turned out pretty cute.  And it did end up being much easier to make then the purses.  Much simpler design.  No cute button eyes. Although I had to incorporate purple since its her favorite color.  I like using information like that to make the creation even more special for the person I am making it for.

I suppose I could have cut up this post into three different posts.  But since they were all created from the same basic idea. I thought this was more appropriate.

If you would like more instruction for these bags just let me know.  I might be able to explain it better one on one. 

This is a good idea for a rainy weekend.  Or if you need a gift for a special friend that seems to have everything.  Create your own! They won't have anything like it already!

No comments:

Post a Comment