Thursday, April 21

Spring Planting

Its that time of year again. We all look forward to the 'nice' warm weather of impending summer. But don't forget that with the warm weather comes beautiful flowers and tasty homegrown foods. Why not take advantage of nature's bounty?

It only takes a little effort to have a beautiful array of flowers or a tasty garden of vegetables and herbs.

Personally I have a brown thumb which my husband will tell you immediately at any chance he gets. But I still persist. I have tried seeds, vegetables, herbs, and flowers. For the most part I can barely handle keeping an annual flower and herbs alive. Vegetables never produce and seeds don't get past infancy. It's sad I know. But that's why I'm sticking to what I know. And what will bring me joy.

I decided to go with Mint, Rosemary, Basil, an annual flower and Paul chose a Thai Pepper plant.



I wanted to get the herbs I use the most in the kitchen and are hard to kill. Fresh herbs are great but costly at the grocery store. So for a small investment upfront I can get my own fresh herbs without leaving my apartment. Mint is not something I use a ton while cooking. But I LOVE the smell. It just calms me and puts me in a good mood instantly.

All you need is:
Plants - of your choosing
Soil - better to get more than less
Small shovel or cup - for scooping
Pots - get them the recommended size or as large as the you want the plant to grow
Fertilizer - I chose an organic type, since I will be eating the herbs
Sunny spot - some plants require more sun than others
Watering can or larger cup - getting a cute watering can might help encourage you to water the plants

Choose a warm day and put on some clothes you don't mind to get dirty. Don't plant too early you don't want your plants to get burned by a sudden frost.
Place an inch or 2 of soil into the bottom of the pot (depending on the depth of your pot). Check by placing the plant in the pot to make sure the base of the plant comes to the top of the pot. Remove any wrapper or plastic pot from the outside of the plant.
Place plant inside new pot and add soil loosely around the sides. Do not pack the soil. The roots need to be able to grow freely.
Fertilize and water for the first time.


While I was already sweaty and dirty I took the time to clean up the rest of my porch. Although I got some strange look from my neighbors.



It's worth the effort to have your own fresh herbs. And if you actually have a green thumb or a yard to plant in go crazy! Get some vegetables or fruits or berries! It might take to you a few years to figure out what works well in your yard, but there is nothing more rewarding then producing your own food. 

It's a great way to teach your children about where food comes from. You can always use an extra set of hands to plant, weed, and water. I always groaned when being forced to do these things as a kid. But now I cherish that time I spent with my dad out in our yard. We had a garden to be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment