Monday, July 25

Simple Alterations

Why is the thought of alterations so frightening? Why do people freak out when I say the word hem?

Take a deep breath. Its okay, even you can do a simple alterations. Now I'm not saying get out that $200 blazer you just bought and try to put darts in it. Start small and very basic. Hemming pants is a good way to begin.

For all of my growing years, I watched my mom diligently hem all the pants and jeans I had to the proper length. I think they were mostly tall sizes that were hand me downs from my sister. At least my mom was teaching us economy. Which is so important today.

That is why I even had this first project to work on. I found a great deal on a pair of dark jeans that actually fit my hips and waist. Unfortunately there was only one pair left, a long. I'm only 5'6", these long jeans went clear over my feet. Not even the tallest of heels could hide how ridiculously long these jeans were on me. So I went to work on them (about 3 weeks after I originally bought them).


I could actually cut off another few millimeters off the bottom. They still seem a little long, but they are not covering my feet up anymore. That was my real goal. I'm counting that as a success.

While chopping off my jeans, I had a brainstorm about this shirt hiding in my closet.


I bought this cute gauzy shirt about a year ago. At the time I thought I could accept the weird 1/2 to 3/4 sleeve length, but the cuff of the sleeve cut into my arm. Honestly it was hard to get the shirt off over my head. So what I'm trying to say is I never wanted to wear it, before...


Before I hacked off those wonky sleeves. I sewed up the edges with a simple straight stitch. (I honestly wasn't even that careful about the straight part.)


It looks much better, its more comfortable and its so much easier to put it on. Now I think this shirt will become a summer staple in my wardrobe.

Okay so this was no "how to" guide on these alterations. More of a suggestive nudge. This is a simpler take on the Re-dress Idea. We might not all have the skills the Bishie has, but we can still do simple things recreate a piece of clothing. Even if its switching a retro button to a more modern one. It can really transform an outfit.

Dust off that sewing machine, if you don't have one borrow one from a friend or your mom. Begin your adventure in creativity.

2 comments:

  1. Yea, but sometimes the simplest modifications take so much motivation! I never get around to hemming and fixing things. Re-dresses are different since they are a project and I have a different mindset for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably I was making shorts out of long pants for Lindsay. I never remember you agreeing to wear that many of her hand me downs:) Glad you were watching tho - you and Bish are so talented to re-do clothes!!

    ReplyDelete