Wednesday, May 4

Cake Pop Fail

So not every one of my posts can be a win. In fact I can't believe I went this long without having a failure. Although I had such high hopes for these cake pops. My biggest problem was getting too ambitious.

I decided to write this post anyway even though my attempt was such a failure. I wanted to give you some tips of where I think I failed and show you some instructions of non-fail cake pops.

First off this idea for making cake pops came from my friend Bish (Cosplay Random on Facebook). She sent me a link for some seemingly easy directions. I say seemingly because I'm sure they would actually work if you followed them better then I did.

Little Miss Momma: Cake Pop Recipe

My original idea was to make chili pepper shaped cake pops for a Cinco de Mayo celebration. So I started off on the right track.


I made the devil's food cake and I even added a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne for some kick. It was fun to essentially destroy the pretty cakes I baked.

I added the frosting and molded the cake into a pepper like shape. Although in hind sight they were a little too big and heavy for the stick. The irregular shape made balancing on the stick impossible. I let them chill in the fridge while I heated up the chocolate.

This is where my major fail occurred while heating the candy coating. I heated per instructions on the bag, but I missed the part in the internet instruction where it told me to add the shortening to thin out the candy. So I continued to heat it thinking it would thin out. Uh, no. Then I read on the bag that overheating would cause it to seize up. AHHH! Noooo... I tried to add vegetable oil as the bag instructions advised, but icing the cake pops ended up being impossible.

Then they turned into cake blobs... So I iced the blobs with the candy coating.


And they would have been so cute. I also had trouble getting a good dark red. If I were to do it again I would get the red candy to begin with.

I ate one of the peppers that stayed on the stick without the candy coating just because.


So I failed. Oh well. Maybe the next time I can learn from my mistakes and make something awesome!

Till then I will enjoy my cake blobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment