Tuesday, May 17

Penguin Tablet Case

I made this case for my friend, Short Stack. She had been coveting a case on Etsy. I promised to give it a shot. After the acquisition of my first sewing machine I was finally able to come through on that promise.

So here is my attempt...


I actually tried to keep up with the way I constructed this case. So I can actually share some instructions. My disclaimer is I don't know all the technical sewing terms. If you have any questions on the how to let me know.

1. measure fabric and draw body shape
- black fabric for body, lining for body, white for belly and belly lining
- beak and eyes from felt
-interfacing for belly and body
2. cut fabric
3. iron on interfacing to lining fabric
- belly and body
4. sew lining to outer body, right sides together
5. sew on felt eyes
6. sew the top of belly lining and fabric together, right sides together
7. turn body
8. press all seams
9. sew belly to body
10. sew on snap on underside of beak area
11. iron on applique to the back
12. sew up sides
13. sew on pupils
14. sew snap on belly


Having a good understanding of what the customer wants is important. She liked bright colors for the lining; greens, pinks and oranges. Also I know that she loves ladybugs, so I found a cute iron on applique for the back. (A kind of a made up tag)


Now I just have to get it to her and see how her tablet fits in there. I made it bigger than the dimensions she gave me, mostly to make sure I left room for error. But she could also put in a small notebook or her cellphone too. Hopefully she will like it. And I can be satisfied with a job completed!

Its fun to make something for someone else. Also I love the feeling of accomplishing something.

On a side note: Thank you to my Grandparents for funding the purchase of my new sewing machine.

1 comment: