Sunday, May 1

Farmer's Market

Almost every town or city has a farmer's market. But not everyone takes advantage of these amazing fresh foods. This is my soapbox and plea for everyone to at least give their local farmers the opportunity to amaze you.

I like the farmer's market for many reasons.
One its a fun activity. Its a good time to get outside and spend some time with your family.
Second you are getting fresh foods that are in season. It also gives you a chance to learn what is in season in your area and when.
Third this is an excellent time to get some inspiration. What's a good deal, what's in season, what haven't you cooked with before, what's interesting, and what just looks beautiful?
Fourth you are supporting your local economy and your local farmers. Its always uplifting to give your money to someone that is working hard down the street from you rather than that big box store.
Fifth eating local is good for the environment. Yeah I'm being a greenie. The less fuel used to transport your food to you the better. And if you buy the organic products then you are saving the environment those pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals pumped into the ground.
Sixth there is lots of tasty treats to eat and drink and snack on. That's always good times to me.

We have been to several different farmer's markets in all the places we have lived. The Abingdon farmer's markets was particularly good especially for how small the town is.

Missing that farmer's market in Abingdon I have been begging Paul to take me to the Marion Square farmer's market in Charleston. Finally this Saturday we went with our friend Andrew.

I found a review online that said you have to have the crepes! And the first thing we came upon was the crepes. So we waited in the sun for our variations of crepes.


Then once we finally received our crepes. We found a shaded spot out in front of a stage with live music and got comfortable.


I got one with feta, spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms.  It was definitely tasty. It was a good way to start out our trip.


Paul loved his roast beef crepe. It was a special on the menu, which is always an interesting way to go when you are deciding what to have. Try the special its usually fresher, in season ingredients. This special was definitely out of the ordinary. You can tell when the chef is having fun with flavors!






Paul likes to take pictures of me eating. Ha ha. You got me again.

We ended up getting delicious wedge of local made brie. Which I am planning on incorporating into my meal planning for the week ahead.

The produce looked beautiful but was a little out of my price range. This farmer's market seemed to be a lot like a street fare. Including street fare foods, live music, local made knick knacks and kids activities like pony ride and moon bounces.

It was definitely not the experience I was expecting but it was very fun and tasty none the less.

Next I need to try the North Charleston Park Circle farmer's market. Maybe I can find a place to get some great fresh produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment