Wednesday, May 18

Easy Indian: Chicken Tikka Masala

This is a great recipe straight from Our forking blog, or as I will always think of her as my college roommate.

My husband loves Indian food, well he loves all food. But Indian is something that I usually baulk at. So when I read this recipe I realized that I might be able to cook and eat this meal. Plus I trusted Mrs. Fork and "simply a-m-a-z-i-n-g" recipe.

Chicken Tikka Masala
Recipe adapted from Yummrs

Chicken;
2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, butterflied
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. plain greek yogurt
1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced grated with microplane
1 T fresh ginger, minced grated with microplane

Sauce:
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1 T tomato paste
2 T garam masala
1 ( 28 oz) can diced tomatoes (I accidentally only used a 14.5 oz can, oops)
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

When butterflying the chicken, make sure each piece is approx. the same thickness. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt.  Rub over each side of the chicken breasts.  Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 min.  In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, and ginger. Cover and place in the fridge beside the chicken.

Meanwhile, in a deep saute pan, heat oil over med-high heat.  Add onions and saute till cooked through.  Add the garlic, ginger, tomato pasta, and garam masasla.  Continue to cook for another 2-3 min  till the mix becomes fragrant. Add the tomatoes, sugar and salt. Stir to combine and boil.  Once mixture boils, cover and let simmer for 15-20 min.

While sauce is cooking, set oven to broil (trust me!)  With a foil lined baking sheet, set a cooling rack on top.  With each piece of chicken, dredge both sides in yogurt (don't skimp) and place on rack.  Broil each piece for 12-15 min, turning halfway through cooking.  once cooked through, let chicken rest for a few min and cut into chunks.  Place cooked pieces in simmering sauce.

Serve with rice. 


If you are thinking about experimenting with ethnic food at home I highly recommend this recipe. All the ingredients as fairly accessible. The techniques aren't too difficult. It turned out to be pretty tastier. Next I might even crank up the heat and add extra cayenne. 

3 comments:

  1. Do you think it would adapt well to tofu? Matt and I (which is to say, I) am trying to cut out some of the meat in our diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! Great recipe :)
    Lindsay- my advice on the tofu would be to buy the super firm tofu,pat dry to remove excess liquid, and cont. to follow the instructions for the chicken. To broil the tofu, use a baking sheet instead of rack. It should hold up fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tofu advice. i do not even know where to start with tofu. haha.

    ReplyDelete