Tuesday, May 24

Beer Braised Chicken Thighs

I decided I was going to try to branch out this week with my dinner choices. I always wish halfway through the week I had been more creative when thinking up dinner ideas.

The first dinner idea I have been interested in giving a shot is Rachel Ray's beer braised chicken thighs. I saw her make this on her new show 5 Meals in a Day, which I think is a clever plan ahead method of cooking.

I have also been trying to try out some budget friendly dinners. Chicken thighs are super cheap! And they have lots of flavor. I also like this recipe because it would be easy to modify and make it your own.

Beer Braised Chicken Thighs

8 4 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (I might try it with boneless thighs)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 link andouille sausage, casing removed and chopped, or and 4 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dried thyme
1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer (I used Yuengling)
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles or stewed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons hot sauce
Warm baguette, for mopping

Pat the chicken thighs dry, and season with salt and pepper.

Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the chicken and brown on both sides in 2 batches.

Remove the chicken to a plate and spoon out 1/2 the drippings, and add the andouille sausage. Brown for 2 minutes and then add the onion, celery, pepper, garlic, and thyme, and cook to soften, for about 10 minutes over medium heat.

Add the flour, stir 1 to 2 minutes, and then pour in the beer and let the foam subside. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, and hot sauce. Let the sauce thicken a bit, and then slide the chicken into the pot and simmer to cook through. Serve with warm crusty bread, or cool and store for make-ahead meal.

 

It turned out to be almost gumbo like. That's why I would like to try it with the boneless thighs, so I won't have to fool around eating around the bone. It might even be tasty with some cooked rice served underneath. I decided to do bacon and smoked sausage because I couldn't find any chicken thighs with skin.

This recipe was a definite success. Very flavorful, a little spicy. If you are looking for a new, cheap chicken recipe give this one a go!

3 comments:

  1. This made very good lunch leftovers. I took some of our toasted bread and broke it apart and put in with the excess liquid - almost like a bread soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I always end up using dried herbs because it's really hard to find fresh here....one day when I have a kitchen garden again maybe I'll grow some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have basil, rosemary and mint on my porch. but thyme is something i might need to get. i have had a lot of recipe call for fresh thyme. although especially in this sort of meal you really don't need fresh. its an unnecessary expense.

    ReplyDelete