Thursday, May 19

Crispy Kale!

My sister was very excited to share this recipe with everyone. So via her email I am sharing her recipe for crispy kale!

"I have a recipe for your blog!!!  It is for my favorite way to eat kale, covered in oil and cooked excessively.  Kale is a very nutrient dense food, even more so than spinach, but it's not exactly the most "yummy" green.  I love this recipe as a snack because it tastes amazing and is about 1,000 million times healthier than popcorn or chips.  Just be careful about the salt!"

Crispy Kale!

Ready in: 15 mins

1 bunch Kale (any variety works well, also: chard, mustard/collard/turnip greens)
4 T olive oil
finely ground sea salt
freshly ground pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Rinse kale in cool water and shake it dry (or blot it dry with towel).  Remove the center rib; some people cut it out with a knife, but I like to just rip the leaves off in bite-sized pieces.  Throw leafy parts into medium bowl, cover with olive oil, mix well by tossing.  Oil should lightly coat the surfaces of the leaves, if it doesn't add more oil. 

Lay leaf pieces out on a pan or cookie sheet (make sure it has edges though, so the oil doesn't run off during cooking) and put in oven for 7-10 minutes or until crispy.  Watch carefully, and try to pull it out before they get brown (gives a weird aftertaste).  Sprinkle sea salt (and pepper) on kale.  Serve right away, and enjoy!


When I used to get a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box I would get the most random of vegetables and fruits. So she sent me this recipe to give a try for this weird bunch of greens, otherwise known as kale. I gave it a try a few times to use up the kale. I agree with my sister, it is a very tasty way to eat greens. It made me feel like I had found healthy "chip".

I recommend this recipe if you have some kale floating around in your crisper drawer, or if its a green you haven't tried, or you are looking for a new kale/greens recipe, or maybe you are looking for a tasty nutrient rich salty treat.

1 comment:

  1. You and your sister seem to be very healthy eaters! Your dad probably wonders how that happened:)

    ReplyDelete